However, it is thought that the 4 survivors of the Narváez expedition passed through the area in the mid-1530s.
El Paso del Norte (the present day Ciudad Juárez), was founded on the south bank of the Río Bravo del Norte, (Rio Grande) in 1659 by Spanish conquistadors.
Instead, Spanish settlement was centered on El Paso del Norte (the present day Ciudad Juárez).
Although, the Spanish Crown and the local authorities of El Paso del Norte had made several land concessions to bring agricultural production to the northern bank of the river in present day El Paso City, continual Indian raids and warfare overwhelmed any attempts.
Further west, a settlement on Coons' Rancho called Franklin became the nucleus of the future El Paso, Texas.
A year later pioneer Anson Mills completed his plan of the town, calling it El Paso.
The image to the right shows Downtown El Paso and Juárez, with the Juárez Mountains in the background.Although there was no combat in the region during the Mexican Independence, Paso del Norte experienced the negative effects it had on its wine trade.The Texas Revolution (1836) was not felt in the region as the area was never considered part of Texas until 1848.The United States Senate fixed a boundary between Texas and New Mexico at the thirty-second parallel, thus largely ignoring history and topography.A military post called The Post opposite El Paso (meaning opposite El Paso del Norte, across the Rio Grande) was established in 1854.